What happened to Alexa and the dangerous challenge she proposed to a girl
The girl’s mother, Kristin Livdahl, described the incident on Twitter, also including a capture that demonstrated the veracity of the incident.
OMFG My 10 year old just asked Alexa on our Echo for a challenge and this is what she said. pic.twitter.com/HgGgrLbdS8
– Kristin Livdahl (@klivdahl) December 26, 2021
Do not worry, we will tell you in detail what happened, in the words of the mother herself to the BBC:
“We were doing some physical challenges, like lying down and rolling while balancing one shoe on the foot […] It was bad weather outside and the girl just wanted another challenge.
It was then that your speaker Threw out suggested taking part in a challenge he had “found on the web”. It was a question of connecting a device with a plug to the network, but not fully inserting said plug. Afterwards, the girl had to take a coin and touch the remaining part with it exposed sideburns.
The dangerous activity, known as “The Penny Challenge,” began circulating about a year ago on TikTok (obviously), as well as other social networks.
Metals conduct electricity and inserting them into live sockets can cause electric shock, fire, and other injuries, both personal and property.
In fact, depending on the current and the plug, these damages can be serious, such as losing a finger, being knocked unconscious … or worse.
The girl’s mother tweeted that she intervened, yelling, “No, Alexa, no!”
Amazon’s intervention after the incident
As soon as they shared the experience on the web, Amazon intervened through its Twitter account. Yes indeed, giving a response that leads to the generic form of complaints on Twitter. The same as if you had lost a package on the way:
Hi there. We’re sorry to hear this! Please reach out to us directly via the following link so that we can look into this further with you: https://t.co/YlLYrTtGzy. We hope this helps. -Daragh
– Amazon Help (@AmazonHelp) December 27, 2021
However, the thing did not stop there and, apparently, Alexa and smart speakers have been updated to prevent something similar from happening again.
Also speaking to the BBC, the company that created the Echos stated that: “As soon as we became aware of this error, we took swift action to fix it.”
So it seems that, at least for now, everything has been in a scare without consequences, although we do not know if it would have been like that in case the mother had been absent.
For now, the Rise of the Machines has been stopped once more, but the episode has been quite disturbing.