News

Electronic commerce grew in Spain by 13.7% in the second quarter of 2021

According to the latest data on electronic commerce from the National Markets and Competition Commission (CNMC), his turnover increased in Spain during the second quarter of last year a 13.7% compared to the same period in 2020. Thus, between April and June 2021, sales through e-commerce in the country yielded revenues of 13,661 million euros.

Among the sectors that have sold the most through electronic commerce in the aforementioned period in Spain are clothing (8.4% of total turnover), auxiliary services to financial intermediation (6.3%) and gambling and betting (4.5%). Another noteworthy data on the behavior of electronic commerce in the country is the number of transactions carried out in the analyzed period when more than 279 million transactions were registered, a figure that reflects an increase of 14.5%. It also highlights the fact that the online stores that have led sales in the period, with 8.4% of the total, are department stores.

Regarding the origin of the products and services purchased during the quarter, 41.4% of purchases were made in Spanish stores originating both internally and from other countries. The other 58.6% corresponds to purchases made from Spain, but in e-commerce establishments in other countries. Therefore, the difference between what was purchased from other countries in Spain, and what was purchased in Spain in other countries results in a deficit of 6,730 million euros.

In total, 32.4% of sales are destined for Spain. The rest, 67.6%, are carried out in other countries. Purchases made from Spain in other countries reached 8,010 million euros between April and June 2021, a figure that represents an increase of 12.1% year-on-year. Regarding the region in which purchases were made from Spain abroad, 87% were made in e-commerce establishments in the European Union. What Spain sells the most over the Internet to other countries is clothing (11.3%), auxiliary services to financial intermediation (10.1%) and gambling and betting (5.4%).

Regarding what is bought from other countries in Spain, its sales have generated revenues of 1,280 million euros, 21% more than during the same period of 2020. 63.8% of these sales came from member countries of The EU. In purchases from abroad, tourism-related purchases (travel agencies, air and land transport, car rental and accommodation) stand out, accounting for 47% of purchases in Spain made from other countries.

Meanwhile, inside of Spain, the e-commerce revenues have reached 4.372 million euros, a figure that reflects a rise of 14.5% year-on-year. Invoicing in this area is led by the public administration, taxes and security, with 11.2% of transactions. This figure is followed by sales in hypermarkets, supermarkets and food stores, with 8.5%.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *