Anyone who enjoys music has heard of Spotify, or even tried it at some point. This digital music service allows us to access millions of songs and podcasts of artists and record labels from around the world. But how to have Spotify on Mac?
You can easily install the app on your Mac, and thus access all your playlists and podcasts just like you can on your iPhone.
In today’s article, we’ll look at why have and use Spotify on Mac, and we’ll quickly explain how to download and install this music service on your computer.
Why use Spotify on Mac?
Using Spotify on our Mac is similar to using it on other devices as users will enjoy almost the same features. Using Spotify has numerous advantages. You will have all your songs and updated library with all the latest albums. And you can search for any song or album.
Spotify for Mac is one of the different ways to enjoy Spotify’s streaming services and features. With the Mac, users will be able to sync our Spotify account and listen to downloaded songs when we do not have a network, when we are not connected to the Internet.
Spotify also makes it easy for us if you need help deciding what music to listen to, it recommends playlists, genres, artists, new releases, depending on our preferences. The more you listen to songs on Spotify, the better the service will be in terms of making recommendations, adapting to our musical tastes.
You can also connect with your Facebook friends using the Spotify for Mac app, so you can see what they’re listening to and find new music. Also, you can use Spotify on your Mac by installing the desktop app or using the Spotify web player on any browser you like.
How to get Spotify on Mac
You can use Spotify on Mac in two ways: install the app on your Mac or use the Spotify web player in your reference browser. Now we will see the two methods to have Spotify on MacBook.
Install the Spotify app on Mac
Installing the Spotify app is easy, but we won’t do it from the Mac App Store because Spotify can’t be installed where your Apple ID is registered. Another reason is that the Spotify app is available on iOS, not macOS.
Therefore, to download Spotify for Mac, you will need to go to the official Spotify website and follow the steps below:
- First visit the Spotify website on your Macbook.
- In the top menu, look for the option “Discharge” and click on it.
- Start the download from Spotify, by clicking on “Allow” in the popup window.
- Unzip the Spotify installer and find it in the folder downloads.
- Start the installation process by double-clicking on the downloaded installation file.
- When the installation process is complete, the Spotify app will open automatically.
- Choose “Log in” and use any of the options to sign in to your account.
- Once you’re signed in, you can start enjoying your favorite music and podcasts.
If Spotify won’t start on your Mac, remove the existing version and download a new one from the website.
Use the Spotify web player on Mac
To avoid downloading the Spotify desktop app on your computer, you can always listen to music through the web browser.
Here are the steps to use Spotify web streaming:
- Open Spotify in your browser.
- Now click “Log in” on the Spotify web player page.
- Sign in to your Spotify account using one of the available methods.
- And finally, you can now access all your music.
Advantages of having Spotify on Mac
Many of the advantages that I will talk about, we will have when we use the application on our computer, not when we do it from the web player.
Advantages of the Spotify app for Mac:
- The group session functions will be available to you, which helps us to send links to our friends to enjoy the songs together.
- We can change the external speaker in the device icon.
- We have the Spotify equalizer available to adjust the volume and play the songs to our liking.
What you should know about using Spotify on Mac
The Spotify app on Mac is very easy to use, but there are a few things you need to keep in mind.
Although Spotify playlists can be downloaded, individual songs and albums cannot be downloaded. Therefore, you must add albums and songs to playlists before downloading them.
Also, it can be unpleasant when we are using our equipment, and the Spotify application suddenly jumps. Many users don’t like this, because they find it distracting, but no problem, we can modify it.
Here’s how to stop Spotify from starting automatically when you start your Mac, follow the steps to customize it:
- first go to Spotify preferences.
- At the bottom of the page, select “Show advanced configuration”.
- select “No” in the dropdown menu under “Start«.
Another interesting thing to know about Spotify for Mac is that you can link the music service to many devices, including smart speakers, TVs… to play music from your Mac and quickly transfer it to any of these devices, consoles included.
Just make sure that all your devices are connected to the same WiFi network and you will be able to use the menu “Available devices” Spotify to link them.
You should also know about the Spotify group session. Using the group session, you can share links with your friends and listen to music as if you were together. To do this, you simply have to click on the icon “Available devices” and select the option “Log in” while a song is playing.
And that would be all, it is true that Apple users usually opt for Apple Music, but Spotify is also a great streaming music service that we must take into account. Which one do you use?