Instagram now allows you to launch a live from a device other than their smartphone, such as a PC for example. To do this, the social network has launched a brand new service called Instagram Live Producer. We explain how it works.
Instagram, the most downloaded application in the world in 2022, regularly adds new features. We know, for example, that NFTs are due to arrive soon, while a user age verification system via the smartphone camera is also in preparation.
Instagram has also given users the option to follow the accounts of their favorite influencers. A way for Instagrammers to obtain additional income and for fans to benefit from exclusive experiences and content.
Instagram launches Live Producer
However, this Friday, July 8, 2022, Instagram has launched a new feature called Instagram Live Producer. This tool will allow content creators to stream via a desktop computer, in particular via dedicated third-party software such as OBS or Streamlabs. To do this, Instagram will provide a streaming key to enter into your software.
As Instagram teams remind us, until now creators could only launch an Instagram live from their smartphones. Now, with Instagram Live Producer, streaming on Instagram will work like on other platforms like Twitch or YouTube. Users will be free to use other recording equipment and other microphones than those offered by their smartphone. Before starting a stream via Instagram Live Producer (the feature is accessible via the Instagram.com site), the app recommends that you adopt the following technical specifications for your live:
For video format
- 9×19 ratio
- 720p 30FPS
- Resolution: 1280 x 720 (HD)
- Bit rate range: 2250 – 6000 Kbps
For audio format
- Sampling frequency: 44.1kHz
- Channel Layout: Stereo
- Bit rate: up to 256 Kbps
How to launch an Instagram live from your PC
Let’s see together the different steps to follow to launch an Instagram stream from a PC:
- Meeting on instagram.com and click the + icon at the top right and select Live in the drop-down menu
- Fill in the title of the live and select your audience (Practice for a test, Audience for a broadcast to your subscribers). On the next screen you will find the unique URL of your live and your stream key
- Once done, launch the streaming software of your choice (OBS, Streamlabs, etc.). Look for the place to enter your URL and your stream key, fill them in to add Instagram Live as a streaming endpoint
- Configure your stream as you wish (it is advisable to follow the technical recommendations mentioned above) and launch your stream
- On Instagram.com, you will be able to preview how your stream will look via the Live Producer viewer
- If everything suits you, just click on Go-Live top right to start streaming
Note that this feature is currently being rolled out, so you may not have access to it yet. If so, it will take some patience.