The Nintendo Switch is finally able to connect to wireless Bluetooth headphones. Here are the steps to follow.
With version 13.0 of its OS, the Nintendo Switch won a very (very) expected feature on September 15, 2021: that of being able to connect a Bluetooth headset or headphones to its console.
Since the release of the machine in 2017, mobile gamers have been asking for the ability to connect their headphones to the console without having to go through an external accessory. It is now possible and here is how to do it.
How to connect headphones or earphones to your Nintendo Switch
Check that the Switch is up to date
The first thing to do to connect your headset to a Nintendo Switch is to make sure the console is up to date. The pairing tool is only available in version 13.0 of the system.
To find out which version your Switch is running under, it’s simple:
- Go to settings (toothed wheel on the home screen)
- Scroll down on the left panel to the menu Console
- Check that the Current system software version is good at least 13.0.0.
- If it’s not the case, click on Update console just above.
- Your Switch will download the latest available OS and restart.
Connect your headphones to the Switch
Once the console is on version 13.0 of the system, connecting a Bluetooth device is done in the same way as everywhere else.
- Go to the settings
- Find the menu Bluetooth audio
- Then put on your headphones or earphones in Bluetooth pairing mode
- Click on Add device on your Switch
- After a few seconds, your device should appear in the list.
- Click on it, and the pairing will be done by itself.
The limits of the connection
As Nintendo indicates on its console, the use of a Bluetooth headset comes with a few small limitations:
- You will not be able to connect more than two wireless controllers when using Bluetooth audio,
- the use of the microphone is not supported,
- and the transmission of the audio signal may experience latency.
However, this remains a small price to pay in order to finally be able to play on the go without annoying everyone around you.