Steam Deck is a machine that still has a long way to go to be 100% operational. Despite its enormous potential, Valve still has a lot of work to do when it comes to compatibility with its game library, as there are titles that, at first, are going to give you problems to get them started. and one of them is A Plague Tale Requiemwhich has hit the market just a few weeks ago and has sold more than a million units almost without meaning to.
Blame it on SteamOS
You have to remember that Steam Deck does not run a Windows installation for his guts since SteamOS is still a Linux adapted to the Valve machine. This decision by Gabe Newell’s men is already a handicap in itself for launching many of the games in the store, although to avoid a major catastrophe, the Americans devised having an emergency tool at hand that makes those games compatible for PC.
On paper, any title in the Steam library should work for us without problems, but unfortunately this is not the case, so we are going to solve it and, to do so, we are going to use a tool called Proton, which is responsible for making it possible for the code written to be executed in Windows to be translated and launched by SteamOS (Linux) without us, the users, noticing the change that they are giving us in the background.
This problem that we tell you about A Plague Tale Requiem could play in other games that you try to launch from the Steam Deck menus and that returns a black screen and you can’t see anything. So to fix it, you are going to have to do the following. Behold.
How to start games that do not work for you
As we say, when starting A Plague Tale Requiem The screen appears black and it is very possible that you hear something in the background. That is the signal that it is not going to execute correctly. So to fix it you should:
- Install the game on the Steam Deck from the Valve store.
- When you have it completely downloaded and updated, click on the gear icon that you will see on the right.
- Now you will see a series of options and a column of alternatives on the left: select Compatibility.
- Then you will see on the right the message “Force the use of a specific compatibility tool for Steam Play”. Do check in the box on the left.
- You will see that another menu is displayed below. Tap on the arrow that you will see on the right and of all the versions of Proton, you stay with the one that indicates Experimental Proton.
- Start the game to start the game.
It is important that you keep Steam Deck updated because every few weeks this module of Proton Experimental receives updates that make it even more efficient for those titles that are coming and that offer some problems to get started.
With these simple steps, problems like A Plague Tale Requiem You are going to be able to solve them with just three screen clicks.