Sony’s famous service, the PlayStation Plus, is getting a makeover and comes with arguments that should appeal to all players: a super-rich catalog, discounts on many games, titles offered every month, AAA version of test… and much more.
Available since June 23, 2022 in Europe, the new PlayStation Plus is completely revamping its offer. The change was designed not to destabilize old users while creating new formulas that should satisfy any player around the planet, regardless of their budget and desires.
New PlayStation Plus: what’s changing?
Until now, 2 very distinct offers coexisted (PlayStation Plus and Playstation Now), but Sony has decided to merge the two services to offer a richer formula with better value for money. This new service will offer three levels of subscriptions: Essential, Extra and Premium
What are these different levels?
Essential takes up the current advantages of the PlayStation Plus subscription: being able to play online, enjoy PS4 and PS5 games offered every month, benefit from regular reductions, etc. If you already had a classic PlayStation Plus subscription, nothing changes for you and the price remains the same.
These are the versions Extra and Premium which become interesting. Indeed, in addition to the advantages mentioned above, with the subscription Extra you will have access to a well-stocked catalog of PS4 and PS5 games. Here we find what PlayStation Now offered.
This offer is available for €13.99 per month or €99.99 per year. Considering the quality of the game library, this represents excellent value for money.
It goes without saying that the version Premium is by far the most complete. For €16.99 per month (i.e. €119.99 per year), in addition to all the features of the previous levels, you have access to the catalog of PlayStation, PS2 and PSP classics as well as a library of streaming games. And icing on the cake, time-limited trial versions of flagship console titles like Cyberpunk 2077 or Horizon Zero Dawn are also offered.
What will you be able to play?
It’s fine to talk about all these advantages, if you don’t know the quality of the catalog which remains without doubt the most important element. Well, you won’t be disappointed. Indeed the new PlayStation Plus includes around 700 titles across all of its offerings. The catalog is varied, ranging from big action blockbusters to small contemplative adventures.
Obviously not all subscriptions are equal in terms of the number of games offered. But even players on the Essential offer have access to several free games every month. Those who are already PlayStation Plus subscribers can confirm that the quality is there and that you get what you pay for.
As for the other subscriptions (Extra and Premium), here is a small overview of the catalog of PS4 and PS5 games that you can access:
- Alienation | Housemarque, PS4
- Bloodborne | FromSoftware, PS4
- Concrete Genie | Pixelopus, PS4
- Days Gone | Bend Studio, PS4
- Dead Nation Apocalypse Edition | Housemarque, PS4
- Death Stranding and Death Stranding Director’s Cut | Kojima Productions, PS4/PS5
- Demons Souls | Bluepoint Games, PS5
- Destruction AllStars | Lucid Games, PS5
- Everybody’s Golf | Japan Studio, PS4
- Ghost of Tsushima Director’s Cut | Sucker Punch, PS4/PS5
- god of war | Santa Monica Studio, PS4
- Gravity Rush 2 | Japan Studio, PS4
- Gravity Rush Remastered | Japan Studio, PS4
- Horizon Zero Dawn | Guerilla, PS4
- Infamous First Light | Sucker Punch, PS4
- Infamous Second Son | Sucker Punch, PS4
- knock | Japan Studio, PS4
- LittleBigPlanet 3 | Sumo Digital, PS4
- LocoRoco Remastered | Japan Studio, PS4
- LocoRoco 2 Remastered | Japan Studio, PS4
- Marvel’s Spider-Man | Insomniac Games, PS4
- Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales | Insomniac Games, PS4/PS5
- Matterfall | Housemarque, PS4
- MediEvil | Other Ocean, PS4
- Patapon Remastered | Japan Studio, PS4
- Patapon 2 Remastered | Japan Studio, PS4
- Resogun | Housemarque, PS4
- Returnal | Housemarque, PS5
- Shadow of the Colossus | Japan Studio, PS4
- Tearaway Unfolded | Media Molecule, PS4
- The Last Guardian | Japan Studio, PS4
- The Last of Us Remastered | Naughty Dog, PS4
- The Last of Us: Left Behind | Naughty Dog, PS4
- Until Dawn | Supermassive Games, PS4
- Uncharted The Nathan Drake Collection | Naughty Dog, PS4
- Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End | Naughty Dog, PS4
- Uncharted: The Lost Legacy | Naughty Dog, PS4
- WipEout Omega Collection | Clever Beans & Creative Vault Studios, PS4
Sony is committed to updating its catalog constantly, so that you don’t have time to get bored. The guarantee of having new games to discover every month!
What if I’m already a PlayStation Plus and PlayStation Now subscriber?
Don’t panic, your classic PlayStation Plus subscription will simply become a PlayStation Plus Essential subscription and your Playstation Now subscription will become PlayStation Plus Extra, all at no additional cost. Current subscribers will therefore not lose out but are likely to be tempted by a richer subscription.
A trailer full of Easter-eggs
To celebrate the release of its new formula, PlayStation offers us a short but effective advertisement. In addition to being beautifully made and offering a real visual identity, it may be able to arouse the curiosity of some of you. Indeed, more than a dozen Easter-eggs are hidden in this video. In this way, PlayStation pays homage to classics that have marked players. We can recognize among others Death Stranding or Red Dead Redemption. Try by yourself to find all the references that are more or less well concealed. It is in any case a fun challenge for the more observant among you.
Up to you !
This article was written in partnership with PlayStation.