Obviously, this option mainly has a negative point, and that is the price that it will cost you to be able to replace the battery of your AirPods. This is the most expensive option of all, but we say again, it is the safest, since it is Apple itself, through its technical service, that will be in charge of replacing the battery of your headphones. Plus, rest assured that if they are damaged during the repair process, Apple will provide you with a fully functional replacement unit. The prices to be able to replace the battery of the headphones are the following.
- With AppleCare+
- AirPods Max: 0 euros.
- AirPods: 0 euros.
- AirPods Pro: 0 euros.
- Charging case: 0 euros.
- Without AppleCare+
- AirPods Max: 85 euros.
- AirPods: 54.99 euros each.
- AirPods Pro: 54.99 euros each.
- Charging case: 54.99 euros.
Go to an authorized center
Another alternative that offers some equally positive results that if you did it through Apple itself, it is to go to a center authorized by the Cupertino company. In fact, the guarantees that at the end of the entire repair process you have your airpods like new they are the same as if you did it in an Apple Store through its technical service.
These Apple Authorized Centers have fully qualified professionals to be able to carry out this type of process, so if you don’t have an Apple Store nearby, going to one of these repair centers is the ideal option if you want to have the guarantee that your AirPods will fit perfectly after completing the replacement of the battery.
Do it for yourself
The third option that we put on the table is that you carry out the repair yourself. The first thing you have to know is that AirPods battery replacement process is really complicated To carry it out, you have to follow the steps carefully and you even have to have certain knowledge to make sure that you are going to be successful and you are not going to leave your AirPods totally useless.
It is certainly about the least recommended option of all, since there is a high risk that the AirPods do not end up completely well, even being able to leave them completely damaged. Also, you have to keep in mind that once you open the AirPods, they will lose all the warranty they have left, therefore, it is a risk that you have to be aware of.
Steps to change the battery of some AirPods
As we have mentioned before, and given the risk that you have to carry out this replacement process yourself, you have to keep in mind that the steps to follow are complicated and require a lot of skill In order to carry them out successfully, therefore, we ask you to reconsider the option of changing the battery of your AirPods through Apple technical service or by going to a repair center authorized by the Cupertino company itself.
Now, if you maintain the idea of being yourself or yourself who is in charge of replacing the AirPods battery, here are the steps to follow with each of the AirPods models. However, we tell you again that it is a process that requires a lot of patience and skill, so we recommend that you carry it out with enough time, without rushing and with the right materials.
We start with the AirPods, both first and second generation, since the process to replace the battery is exactly the same, since they are physically practically identical inside. Our recommendation is that you find a time when you have plenty of time to be able to do each step thoroughly and without rushing.
- Uses a scalpel to open the lower microphone unit.
- Open the measurement cable gently inside and let it fall.
- Clean the internal glue.
- Fixed AirPods to a surface.
- Add a small amount of solder for faster heat conduction.
- with a syringe, insert glue around the outside of the battery, in order to soften the foam rubber.
- With a pair of tweezers, shake the antenna, release the unbind agent and insert a thin piece of plastic into the center of the battery and inside of the antenna, to loosen the battery and antenna.
- Heats up the top of the headset with a heat gun to soften the rubber padding.
- Use the hook and pliers to slowly pull out the battery.
- Prepare the sticker on the back of the adhesive to cut the appropriate size.
- Insert the piece of paper cut in the center of the battery cable and antenna cable to make it easier for the battery to reduce friction.
- Use the damaged battery core to press battery loaded down.
- Solder the positive electrode of the battery.
- Solder the negative electrode of the battery and stabilize with B-7000 glue.
- Fix the stuck AirPods with fixing clips and wait for the glue to solidify.
AirPods 3 and AirPods Pro
In the same way that the first and second generation AirPods are identical and therefore share the battery replacement process, the same thing happens with the AirPods 3 and AirPods Pro, which although in this case are not completely the same, they do. When changing the battery, the steps you have to carry out are the same.
Once again, we again place a lot of emphasis on reminding you that the entire process has to be carried out very carefully, carrying out each movement with patience and making sure that you are doing it correctly, since the risk that the AirPods can be damaged in an accidental way. irremediable is very high. Here are the steps you have to follow.
- Remove the cushion from the AirPods Pro.
- Heats up AirPods with a heat gun at 100 degrees for 2-3 minutes.
- Attach the earphones to the specialized mount and pull the pin hard.
- Very carefully and without much force, remove the adhesive with tweezers
- Remove the adhesive from the pads, without damaging the flex cable.
- Heat with a soldering iron at 365 degrees to disconnect the flex cable from the receiver.
- isolate with aluminum foil.
- Heat with a soldering iron at 365 degrees to separate the power module from the battery.
- with tweezers, pry a little to get the battery out.
- remove the tin of the flex cable with a 365 degree soldering iron and wick the solder before soldering. Then clean it with PCB Cleaner.
- Stick the double-sided tape at the anode of the battery.
- Connect the flex cable, heat the soldering iron at 365 degrees to solder the anode and cathode of the battery. Also, insulate with aluminum foil when soldering the anode.
- Solder the flex cable of the receiver.
- Connect the flex cable and close the AirPods case.
- Put the AirPods in their charging case.
- Close the AirPods Pro case and remove excess adhesive with alcohol. After an hour, the adhesive will have set.
- Remove the fixing tape and clean again with alcohol.
Unfortunately for all AirPods Max users who were thinking of changing the battery of these devices on their own, we have bad news for them, and that being such recent devices, the process has not been published yet through which the battery of these headphones can be replaced.
Therefore, if you are having problems with the autonomy of your AirPods Max, the only way you have to be able to carry out a battery replacement is by going to one of the two official media that we have mentioned at the beginning of this post, and thus you can make sure that the battery of your headphones is in perfect condition.