When we use a computer with a Windows operating system, we find that it has different programs and tools that arrive pre-installed on the system. These are, among others, Notepad, Paint or the calculator. In addition, Microsoft has other programs that, although they are not installed by default, they can help us improve our productivity and are known by the name of Microsoft PowerToys.
These applications originally saw the light of day in the days of Windows 95, although they eventually fell into oblivion. A couple of years ago, Microsoft decided to resurrect these tools, so that advanced users could have tools to get more out of the Windows 10 Shell and personalize their workflows. This revamp was done as open source GitHub apps.
What’s New in PowerToys 0.45
Microsoft has just released PowerToys version 0.45. This new version has especially focused on updates and optimizations for better stability. Also included are accessibility improvements and bug fixes.
Likewise, along with these improvements, some changes have been made to the user interface, which now has a more updated and modern design that is very reminiscent of the lines marked by Windows 11 and that will offer us a better experience when navigating its settings and utilities.
Along with the change in the visual aspect, these are the rest of the news that we can find in PowerToys 0.45:
- Color Picker: adds a tool for color identification (in HEX, RGB, CMYK, HSL and HSV, among others).
- FancyZones: adds a window manager that makes it easy for users to create and use complex window layouts.
- Preview panels– Includes SVG and Markdown previews to File Explorer.
- Image Resizer– Add a context menu to File Explorer to resize images.
- Keyboard Manager: Add options to remap keys and shortcuts.
- PowerRename– Adds an option for users to rename files using search and replace or regular expression in File Explorer.
- PowerToys Run– Adds a Spotlight-like tool that allows users to search for folders, files, apps, and other items.
- Shortcut guide– Adds a full screen overlay that allows the user to see the Windows key shortcuts available in the current window.
- Awake– Incorporates a system tray tool to keep a device awake and prevent Windows from allowing a device to sleep or hibernate.
Download and update
This new version 0.45 PowerToys is now available to all users, so they can enjoy their news as soon as possible. In case we already have it installed on our computer, when we start it we should receive a notification stating that the new version is now available to download from the program itself. Likewise, it is also possible to update to the latest version from its “General” section. In case we do not have the application installed and we want to try it, we can download it for free from its page on GitHub.