What can we do with the firmware of the D-Link DSR-1000AC router?
The firmware of this professional router is very complete, it allows administration through the graphical user interface and also via CLI by console or by SSH, this model is managed through the HTTPS protocol to provide confidentiality and authenticity, there is no possibility of manage this router via HTTP because it is an insecure protocol. In addition, another very important aspect is that we can limit the administration of this router from certain IP addresses, certain VLANs created in the LAN, and even remotely via HTTPS.
This D-Link DSR-1000AC router by default has the LAN configured with the 192.168.10.0/24 subnet, therefore, we will have to access the firmware of this router through the IP address https://192.168.10.1, the name The default user name is “admin” and the password is “admin”, but in the first menu of the router it will force us to change this access password.
In the main firmware menu of this router we can see the general status of the router, all the LAN connections, the VLANs that we can configure, and also the status of the different VPN tunnels that we can configure with this professional router. At the top is where we will have the different submenus to make the different configurations:
- Status: we will be able to see the general status of the entire router, the connected wired clients, WiFi clients, VPN clients that have successfully established a session and the complete log of the router where we can see the logs of different parts of the router.
- Wireless: here we can configure the multiple SSID that this router has, and segment those SSIDs into a specific VLAN ID if we have previously created it, of course, we can also configure the 2.4GHz and 5GHz radio as if it were a home WiFi router. Finally, in this section we can configure the WDS in the two frequency bands and also the WPS, the latter is disabled by default to have the best possible security.
- Network: This section is where we can configure everything related to the LAN, we can edit the default LAN and set the subnet that we want. We will also be able to configure VLANs with new subnets, and in each of these subnets we will have the possibility of configuring a DHCP server to dynamically provide IP, and even configure DHCP Relay. Other options available in this section are the possibility of configuring the 2 dedicated WANs that we have in this router, the DMZ through the WAN 2 port, and we can even configure the load balancing between the WANs and also a 3G / 4G modem to have FTTH fiber connection failover. This router is compatible with IPv6 networks, therefore, we will have all the usual configuration options that we find in routers. Finally, we will be able to create static routes, make use of the internal gateway dynamic routing protocols RIP and OSPF, as well as configure the redundancy VRRP in routers.
- VPN: this professional router has different types of VPN, specifically, we will have IPsec with IKEv1 and IKEv2 both in remote access VPN mode as Site-To-Site VPN, PPTP both server and client, L2TP both server and client, and also OpenVPN, both in remote access VPN mode, client and even in Site-to-Site. Finally, the firmware also allows us to establish GRE tunnels.
- Security: here we can configure the internal database of users and groups for authentication, configure an external RADIUS, an external POP3, LDAP, AD and NT domain. We can also filter the websites that we want through URL and keyword blocking, as well as activate dynamic filtering, but it requires an additional paid subscription. Finally, we can configure in detail all the firewall rules, both for IPv4 and IPv6 networks and also the bridge.
- Maintenance: in this section we will have the main configuration options related to management, firmware update, saving and restoring the router configurations, configuring the logs of the different router services, and much more.
As you can see, this router has everything to become the center of the network, in addition, we have high-end hardware, since it incorporates 2 Gigabit Ethernet ports for the Internet WAN, 4 Gigabit Ethernet ports for the LAN and 2 multifunction USB 2.0 ports (print server, file server with SMB 1.0, possibility of updating the firmware via USB, saving and restoring router configurations, and you can even activate a function to automatically save all the configurations made in the router, to real-time backup mode).
This D-Link DSR-1000AC professional router has hundreds of advanced configuration options, since it is a team oriented to offices and also to small and medium-sized companies, we can make advanced and secure VPN tunnels to intercommunicate different company headquarters, and even allow that mobile users (with laptop, smartphone, tablet etc.) can remotely connect to the corporate network and access all shared resources easily and quickly. Although this router has IPsec, PPTP, L2TP and OpenVPN, we must take into account the non-security of the PPTP and L2TP protocols, the latter is normally used together with IPsec to add a layer of encryption and authentication of the data.
Discover all the configuration options in our video
In RedesZone we have recorded a complete video of the firmware of the professional router D-Link DSR-1000AC, the top model of the manufacturer D-Link that will provide us with outstanding performance in all network tests, and many advanced configurations as you can. see below in the firmware video.
Soon we will offer you tutorials on how to configure the firewall, the WiFi network, how to create VLANs with this advanced router, and you will even learn to configure a VPN server with both the IPsec protocol and OpenVPN.