When migrating from Android to iOS, WhatsApp users had to resort to third-party tools, which didn’t always work, to migrate their conversations. Now, Mark Zuckerberg announces good news for those who are looking to migrate to the iPhone.
Through a publication made on his Facebook profile, Mark Zuckerberg announced that the history of WhatsApp conversations, photos, videos and voice messages can now be migrated from Android to iOS (iPhone system). For this, users will have to use the “Migrate to iOS” application, which is developed by Apple.
Last year, it is worth remembering, Meta had released a tool to do the reverse process, that is, to migrate from iOS to Android. A restriction of the new feature is that “payment messages” are not transferred.
The migration feature is being rolled out gradually in beta and should be available to all users in about a week.
What it takes to migrate WhatsApp from Android to iOS (iPhone system)
According to the WhatsApp FAQ, these are the items needed to migrate from Android to iOS:
- Have Android Lollipop, with SDK 21 or later, or Android 5 or later installed on your Android device;
- Have iOS 15.5 or later installed on your iPhone;
- Install the Migrate to iOS app on the Android device;
- Install version 188.8.131.52 or later of Whatsapp on the iPhone;
- Install version 184.108.40.206 or later of Whatsapp on the Android device;
- Use the same phone number already used in your WhatsApp account on the new device;
- To pair your iPhone with the Migrate to iOS app and transfer data from your Android device, your iPhone must be in factory settings;
- Both appliances need to be connected to a power source;
- Both devices must be connected to the same Wi-Fi network. Otherwise, you will need to enable Personal Hotspot on the iPhone and connect the Android device to your network.
How to Migrate WhatsApp from Android to iOS
Upon meeting the requirements described above, this is the step-by-step guide to perform the migration:
- On your Android phone, open the “Migrate to iOS” and follow the displayed instructions;
- On Android, enter the code being displayed on the iPhone;
- Tap “Continue” and follow the instructions;
- Now, under “Transfer data”, select the “WhatsApp” option;
- Tap “Start” on your Android phone and wait for the process to complete. In this step, your Android messenger account will be logged out;
- Tap “Next” to return to the “App”;
- Then, tap “Continue” for the data to start transferring;
- Install WhatsApp on iPhone with the same phone number and go through the initial setup process.
Ready! Now, after configuring your iOS WhatsApp account, the migration will be completed and you will not lose conversations and other items that were on your Android phone.