After the various scandals which marred its reputation, the Hollywood Foreign Press Association unveiled its list of winners, on the internet and without a rally. Who are the big winners?
It was one of the masses for lovers of the 7th art. Every year since 1944, the Hollywood Foreign Press Association (HFPA) has awarded awards to the best productions on the small and big screen. But for some time, the ceremony has been in turmoil. Accused of being sexist and corrupt, the organization is widely singled out for its lack of diversity. If reforms were announced in 2021, this was obviously not enough.
In May, NBC announced that it would not be broadcasting the ceremony, as it traditionally has been. A ceremony behind closed doors, which again rewarded the best cinematographic and television works. It was via Twitter and its website that the HFPA unveiled the list of winners. No red carpets and speeches, but videos shared on social networks by a few winners.
Netflix is full
The SVOD platform hits the jackpot, thanks to Jane Campion. The Power of the Dog won the title of best dramatic film, as well as the statuette of best director for the filmmaker. She is styling at the pole Dune and The Williams Method in the first category, and stands out as best director against Maggie Gyllenhaal (The Lost Daughter), Steven Spielberg (West Side Story), Denis Villeneuve (Dune) and Kenneth Branagh (Belfast).
Andrew Garfield, starring in Tick, Tick… Boom! meanwhile won the title of best actor in a comedy, musical, against Leonardo DiCaprio (Don’t Look Up), Peter Dinklage (Cyrano), Cooper Hoffman (Licorice Pizza) and Anthony Ramos (In the heights).
Finally, a real phenomenon of the year 2021, Squid Game leaves with a statuette for O Yeong-Su. The South Korean actor won the title of best supporting actor for a television series. On the other hand, it is Succession (HBO) which wins the best drama series category.
Amazon does not admit defeat
A direct competitor of Netflix, Amazon is not left out either. The SVOD platform leaves with an award for its series The Underground Railroad as well as the title of best actress in a drama for Nicole Kidman (Being the Ricardos).
For its part, Disney + leaves with the title of best actor in a drama series for Michael Keaton. The actor is awarded for his performance in Dopesick, released last November on the platform. On the big screen, the firm with big ears unsurprisingly offers itself the title of best animated film with Encanto. Here is the full list of winners:
- Best Dramatic Film: The Power of the Dog
- Best Director: Jane Campion for The Power of the Dog
- Best Comedy / Musical: West Side Story by Steven Spielberg
- Best Actress in a Drama: Nicole Kidman for Being the Ricardos
- Best Actor in a Drama: Will Smith in The Williams Method
- Best Actress in a Comedy / Musical: Rachel Zegler in West Side Story
- Best Actor in a Comedy / Musical: Andrew Garfield in Tick, tick… Boom!
- Best Supporting Role in a Comedy / Musical: Ariana DeBose in West Side Story
- Best Supporting Actor in a Drama: Kodi Smit-McPhee in The Power of the Dog
- Best Screenplay: Kenneth Branagh for Belfast
- Best Animated Feature: Encanto by disney
- Best non-English speaking film: Drive my Car by Ryusuke Hamaguchi
- Best Original Music: Hans Zimmer for Dune
- Best Song: No Time to Die by Billie Eilish
- Best Drama Series: Succession on HBO
- Best Comedy or Musical Series: Hacks on HBO Max
- Best Drama Series: The Underground Railroad on Amazon Prime Video
- Best Actress in a Miniseries: Kate Winslet in Mare of Easttown
- Best Actor in a Miniseries: Michael Keaton in Dopesick
- Best Actress in a Drama Series: Michaela Jaé Rodriguez in Pose
- Best Actor in a Drama Series: Jeremy Strong in Succession
- Best Actress in a Comedy / Musical Series: Jean Smart in Hacks
- Best Actor in a Comedy / Musical Series: Jason Sudeikis in Ted lasso
- Best Supporting Actress in a Series: Sarah Snook in Succession
- Best Supporting Actor in a Series: O Yeong-Su in Squid Game