One of the objectives we seek with the use of this new protection technology is the prevention of criminal activities. The other is detecting attacks and threats before they occur.
What is IP intelligence and what does it offer us
The IP intelligence seeks to protect the infrastructures of a company by detecting and blocking access requests from IP addresses associated with malicious activities. Today, companies are looking for security solutions that can dynamically synthesize information from different sources in order to obtain the highest level of protection for their infrastructures against increasingly sophisticated attacks from cybercriminals.
The problem that organizations that offer content over the Internet face is that they are exposed to a wide variety of cyberattacks that come from IP addresses that change very quickly. For this reason, and for us to be more protected, we have IP intelligence solutions whose work is based on:
- IP surveillance with deep DPI packet inspection.
- Social network analysis systems through the OSINT platform with virtual HUMINT capabilities.
- The combination of different procedures and technologies to improve visibility in order to identify, prevent and neutralize the dangers that threaten us.
- Increase protection against cross-site scripting, SQL injection, DDoS attacks, and other risks associated with botnets.
- Defense against malicious traffic.
Next, we will talk about these concepts related to IP intelligence and some more.
IP surveillance using DPI and metadata extraction for analysis
The IP surveillance with deep DPI packet inspection It is a system designed to obtain information from multiple network service providers and also from the use of passive, online or tactical probes. In that sense, the tracking and grabbing of Internet traffic through packet-switched networks is achieved through probe packet switching (PSP). This is done through a hardware and software solution for monitoring and capturing data traffic based on interception criteria that we can customize to our liking. Thus, we can work with advanced criteria oriented to traffic loads through deep packet inspection with pre-filtering capabilities that are included in traffic filtering policies.
You can also work with the metadata extraction for further analysis. Thus, companies and States are offered the extraction and collection of metadata, providing them with intelligence through the information they obtain. Thanks to this, an improvement in their investigation capabilities is achieved by collecting this information in a massive, stealth and undetectable way. We can then get important information by crossing that information from the Internet through deep packet inspection.
OSINT or open source intelligence
Now we go to another important point of IP intelligence, which is the platform OSINT. Thanks to it, we obtain a modular solution with a great future with which we can carry out a web and social network analysis in order to discover, prevent and neutralize the different threats that we face every day.
Thanks to this open source intelligence, we can obtain a series of benefits such as:
- Collection of public data from a wide range of sources.
- Geolocation of the results obtained.
- Multi-social correlation information of the most used platforms.
- Statistical graphs and analysis relationships.
Being an open platform, it can be integrated with third-party analytics, tools, and databases. In addition, it can be an aid to senior executives and technical reporting analysts with which they can receive real-time alerts. In that sense, they would have tools for the Deep Web, Dark Web and for the main social networks, such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn and more.
IP intelligence as a defense against harmful traffic
Businesses today are exposed to a wide variety of dangerous attacks that start from frequently changing IP addresses. Typical examples of this are botnet traffic, a distributed denial of service (DDoS) attack, and a malware infection. If they are successful they can penetrate the security layers of our company jeopardizing the ability to work or the theft of information.
Good IP intelligence and stronger security has to be context-based. In this sense, the IP addresses and security categories associated with the malicious activity must be identified. Thus an IP intelligence service could be used using dynamic lists of threatening IP addresses.
Another benefit of IP intelligence is that it reduces risk and increases data center efficiency by eliminating the effort of processing incorrect traffic. Thus, by improving the visibility of risks from multiple sources, we can detect malicious activities and IP addresses thanks to a global network of threat sensors and an IP intelligence database.
IP intelligence and the threats it can protect us from
The IP intelligence service will identify and block the IP addresses associated with a wide variety of sources of great risk to our organization, such as:
- Windows exploits that include active IP addresses that deliver or distribute malware, worms, or viruses.
- Web attacks including cross-site scripting, iFrame injection, SQL injection, domain password brute force, and more.
- Protection against botnet attacks.
- Scanners that will perform all password recognition, polling, host scan, domain scan, and brute force.
- Denial of Service: Includes DoS, DDoS, anomalous SYN flood, and anomalous traffic detection.
- Reputation – IP addresses known to be infected with malware or known to be malware distribution points will be denied access.
- Phishing: blocking of IP addresses that host phishing websites or other types of fraudulent activity.
An advantage offered by the IP intelligence service is that it will reduce repetitive tasks and manual configurations of those responsible for the network and security, achieving an increase in efficiency.
Finally, IP intelligence allows for automatic updates that keep systems protected in a dynamic way and products can be easily configured to receive updates in real time to guarantee a good management of the organization’s security.