Not too long ago we talked about how a RX 6700 XT it arrived with its corresponding Thermal Pad to its corresponding owner, where the VRAM temperatures were really high and inappropriate for said model. After disassembling the card, an unusual scene was found: the pads still had the sticker without removing, so the heat transfer was almost non-existent. Today is a new level and a wake-up call to any manufacturer, since none is exempt.
An NVIDIA RTX 3090 reaches 110º C in its VRAM, by a thimble!
Imagine that you spend good money on an NVIDIA RTX 3090, more than 2000 euros easily, your graphics card arrives at home and like a child you open your package, take out the box, take your card, install it and turn on the PC.
Everything seems fairly normal, the temperatures are high, but we are in summer and it is very hot … Until you start playing and after a poor performance you start looking for the problem. You find it fast, the GDDR6X memory of your NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE is at 110º C which is the most it can bear.
The first thing you think is, what is happening? So armed with courage, you decide to investigate the problem; you open your graphics card and everything goes fine, until you get to disassemble the complete heatsink and find a plastic thimble!
Memory through the roof, a thimble and a warning
Instead of finding the typical deformable fabric and silicone thermal pad, the user found a plastic thimble. Of course, with its pad on top, but this was worthless since said thimble occupied the space of two GDDR6X modules.
How did that thimble get there? It has its logical explanation even if it is not admissible in a product of this category. The workers in the manufacturing plant of any GPU company use rubber thimbles so that they can install everything they need on the card without leaving a footprint on the components and the PCB.
Where in addition these thimbles serve to conduct the minimum static current and thus not damage the graphics card as such in subsequent tests. What happened is a simple failure of an operator in the assembly line who perhaps did not even realize that the lost thimble fell into the GPU. Luckily the memory was protected and the CPU only raised a few degrees of temperature, but the anecdote and the scare were already immortalized in the image, a warning without a doubt for the production quality centers of the factories that did not detect this problem.