VOD News brings you the best releases of the week on Netflix, HBO Max, Amazon Prime Video, Disney+… And it shows not only in the dates that we are, but also in the bridge that lies ahead, because the main platforms have been filled with interesting content such as Guillermo del Toro’s Cabinet of Curiositiesto mention our featured content today.
So we start the weekly review with the Netflix offer, which as always is substantial and where you can see Guillermo del Toro’s Cabinet of Curiosities, although it is not the only thing that we highlight. Apart from what we highlight, in fact, you may be interested in laying your eyes on releases such as, depending on your tastes and appetite, The bastard son and the devil himself, The angel of Death either Wendell and Wildsome of the most interesting a priori according to what can be read out there.
However, and despite the lack of originality of the proposal and its setbacks, motivated more by the stupidity of these days than by the lack of awareness, Guillermo del Toro’s Cabinet of Curiosities It is an ideal series for these dates. A horror anthology that, under the baton of the Mexican filmmaker, brings together several of the most popular horror creators of the moment to tell eight stories whose only common thread is that of fantastic terror with a classic aroma.
Like Alfred Hitchcock in his suspense stories, in Guillermo del Toro’s Cabinet of Curiosities it is del Toro himself who acts as master of ceremonies, presenting each of the stories that make up this first season. Independent stories from each other, refreshed adaptations of classic stories of the genre, which will remind you of series from another time, such as tales from the crypt either mystery for three. With a more than satisfactory start, the series offers exactly what it promised and I am satisfied with that.
Change of third for with No news at the fronta German film that transports the viewer to the First World War, somewhat in the style of the impressive 1917, but more humble in its production and from a lesser seen perspective: that of a young German soldier on the Western Front. In short, a war drama from the director of patrick melrose that has enchanted after its recent passage through cinemas and that, in fact, will represent Germany in the next Oscar Awards.
Lastly, and lest it be said that 80% of what Netflix produces is crap for weak-neuron teenagers, The bastard son and the devil himself, a British fantasy series that certainly lives up to the description, but is attracting critical acclaim and therefore deserves the benefit of the doubt. Because exceptions exist.
More exclusive content:
- Big Mouth (T6). “In this politically incorrect comedy from Nick Kroll and Andrew Goldberg, teenagers discover the wonders and horrors of puberty.”
- Pretty. “A family moves to the city after suffering a tragic loss. When they reunite in their hometown 30 years later, old wounds and painful secrets surface.
- Spellbound Daniel, the magic hunter (T1). “A New York teenager makes a living hunting down hard-to-find mystical items to sell to wizards. But magic can be a dangerous business.”
- The bastard son and the devil himself (T1). “Caught between two warring clans, the son of a feared warlock implicated in a devastating massacre seeks his place in the world…and his powers.”
- Mussolini’s robbery. “At the end of World War II, a ragtag group of resistance fighters plan an impossible heist: steal Mussolini’s treasure from the fascist headquarters in Milan.”
- The angel of Death. “Overworked, an ICU nurse leans on her helpful new partner. Until the death of a patient begins to make him suspicious.”
- fragments of the past (T1). “After coming out of a coma, a talented talent scout wakes up in an alternate reality where she has to relive a painful childhood trauma of her own.”
- Franco Escamilla: auditory voyeur. “Franco Escamilla takes the stage in California in a comedy special packed with hilarious observations on gossip, the pandemic and airports.”
- the romance killer (T1). “Anzu enjoys being single to the fullest and doesn’t even consider falling in love with her…until a tiny magical being who plays matchmaker turns her life into a romantic comedy.”
- cocktail masters (T1). “A group of renowned bartenders show off their incredible skills as they compete for a $100,000 prize and the title of Best Master Mixer.”
- my encounter with evil (T1). “Real people who believe they have been victims of diabolical possession relive their experiences through re-enactments and testimonials.”
- beyond the universe. “A young pianist awaiting a kidney transplant strikes up an unexpected relationship with her doctor and musters the courage to fulfill her musical dreams.”
- angry planet (T1). “Storm chasers, survivors and rescue team members tell of their harrowing experiences with volcanoes, tornadoes, hurricanes and earthquakes.”
- Family meeting (T5). “When the McKellan family moves from Seattle to Georgia, life in the South and very traditional grandparents put their big-city lifestyle to the test.”
- Wild is the wind. “Racial tensions cause an untenable situation in a small town when two corrupt police officers begin to investigate the brutal murder of a girl.”
- if i had known (T1). “Emma has been in a disappointing marriage for ten years and she can’t take it anymore. She is then presented with the extraordinary opportunity to relive the past decade.”
- Wendell and Wild. “Two malevolent demons make a deal with a teenage punk fanatic to escape the Underworld and fulfill her dreams in the Land of the Living.”
- benidorm mon amour
- flying pigs
- Laal Singh Chaddha
- The monstrous adventures of Zipi and Zape
- Pororo the little penguin (T5)
- Spider-Man: Far From Home
- The Blacklist (T9)
- Unpaved Road to Peace
- Pokémon Master Voyages: The Series (T1)
- Village of Swimming Cows
- waking the titanic
- Zabawa, Zabawa
We continue with Amazon Prime Video, which has gained momentum in recent months and rarely is the week in which it does not release several of its own content.
A highlight of Prime Video for this week, in addition, an original Amazon production such as the second season of stories not to sleepa new batch of the reboot of Chicho Ibáñez Serrador’s classic horror anthology series with, excuse the redundancy, more stories not to sleep of some of the most prominent Spanish filmmakers of recent years. Yes, that’s fine, but it’s not the original, nor have they been able to capture that essence that Guillermo del Toro’s Cabinet of Curiosities Yes.
More focused on suspense, but with a good dose of bad vibes as a backdrop, The Devil’s Hour is another of the Prime Video releases that you can enjoy these days. It tells the story of «Lucy, a woman wakes up every night at exactly 3:33 in the morning, in the so-called hour of the devil, without knowing why. The answer is out there somewhere at the bottom of a list of brutal murders.
More exclusive content:
- Run, baby, run. “In this dark horror thriller, a single mother is on the run from a savage, uncontrollable assailant after what appears to be a dinner date with a client.”
- I’m going to have a good time. “Valladolid, 1989. David and Layla are 13 years old, they love “G Men” and fall madly in love with each other. Valladolid, 2022. After 30 years without seeing each other, David and Layla finally have the opportunity to meet again.”
- A Brief History of Time Travel
- Cornered (Officer Down)
- steel eagle
- Almost Ghosts
- black site
- Road to success
- Carlos against the world
- Not with you, bug
- Let you fall
- Let yourself go!
- Echoes of Fear
- The attempt
- The most violent year
- the price of revenge
- Argentina industry
- Killer Mermaid
- Mrs. Lowry and son
- The Seductresses
- the best for her
- Mad Max: Fury Road
- Monsters Wanted
- faster than death
- Our Evil
- never back down, never give up
- The General
- The Monster Project
What’s on Disney+? Well, a little bit, but less is nothing. Although in reality, with the accumulated of the last weeks, you have to burst.
Focusing on what touches us, the most outstanding original release of Disney + for this week is The Jedi Chroniclesa new animated series from the creator of boba fett book, the bad consignment, Clone Wars, Resistance or Heroes of Mandalore, among others, that… well if you like what he has done before, you will like what he has just done now. A series that includes the confrontation of two Jedi Knights like Ahsoka Tano and Count Dooku that is receiving critical approval.
On the other hand and with a fresh air, even when we talk about an orthodox horror movie where they exist, barbarian It has been confirmed as one of the surprises of the season, so you already know: not everything revolves around Star Wars or Marvel on Disney +, although it often seems so.
More exclusive content:
- good trouble (T4). “‘Foster Family’ spinoff in which Callie and Mariana move to Los Angeles after graduation. The sisters enjoy the love, sex, and complicated relationships that come with living in a new city for your twenties.”
- The mysterious Benedict Society (T2). “The Benedict Society meets, but when Mr. Benedict and Number Two go missing in Europe, the kids decide to go looking for him.”
- The D’Amelio Show (T2). “Moving from relative obscurity and a seemingly normal life to being thrust into the Hollywood spotlight almost overnight, the D’Amelios are faced with challenges and opportunities they never could have imagined.”
- ad astra
- Boris (Complete series)
- like lightning
- the hall of villains
- The one in charge
- The girl of your eyes
- The most difficult repairs in the world (T1)
- lucia and sex
- Shadow Detective
- Spider-Man: Far From Home
- Immersed in sumo! (T1)
Yes, there are also news on HBO and… go news.
Garcia! is the new Spanish series from HBO Max, one that is also going quite well for those who have had the opportunity to see the two episodes broadcast so far. I’m telling you ahead of time because its synopsis can leave you momentarily alienated: “García, a super-soldier created under Franco and cryogenically frozen for 60 years, wakes up in the present with a mission: to save Spain.” I leave it there.
More exclusive content:
- legendary (T3). “Straight out of the underground ballroom community, vogue teams (called ‘houses’) must compete in incredible balls and show off spectacular outfits in order to be considered ‘legendary.'”
- Selena + Chef (T4). “Actress, producer and philanthropist Selena Gomez stars in this reality show in which she ventures into uncharted territory. She will prepare delicious dishes, helped remotely by several chefs, while she quarantines at home. »
- Tree of Life: Synagogue Attack. “On October 27, 2018, a white supremacist entered a Pittsburgh synagogue and killed eleven of the worshipers. This shocking HBO documentary reveals the problem of hate that threatens our security.”
- Nostromo: David Lean’s Impossible Dream
- Scary Movie
- ScaryMovie 2
- ScaryMovie 3