Most common failures
Within the list of most frequent failures in an Apple laptop, we can find the screen, motherboard, peripherals, battery and others. In turn, in each of these sections we can find that the MacBook can give various failures in relation to it.
MacBook screens can have various problems, most of which are due to a connection problem with the motherboard, one or more defective pixels, as well as other problems that are usually caused by a manufacturing defect or an accidental impact. . However, it can also be due to the software, so it is advisable to check its settings to verify that everything is fine.
That said, the most common failures within this section are the following:
- blurry screen
- greenish screen
- yellowish screen
- spots on the screen
- The color does not match what it should
- Color stripes in certain areas of the panel
- screen completely off
- continuous flashes
- Malfunction depending on position
As in the previous case, the MacBook motherboard can also be the source of many problems. If we take into account that this is where absolutely everything on the computer resides, from the microprocessor to the RAM and going through the storage disk, the importance of it being in good condition is more than evident.
The main failures that manifest in these cases are these:
- Very slow when moving through the system and executing any action.
- The system gets stuck and you have to shut down abruptly.
- Sparks or cramps when using the computer*.
- Sudden shutdowns.
- Applications that close abruptly.
- The MacBook does not turn on or stays in the middle of the process.
- Strange sounds coming from the plate.
- Overheating of the computer, even when in a suitable environment and without open heavy processes.
*In this case you should be careful during use and, immediately, go to technical support to avoid greater evils.
Keyboard and/or trackpad
These problems are the easiest to detect, although many times they reside in software problems and perhaps with a simple restart they can be solved. In any case, and unlike the peripherals of a desktop computer, being a laptop they could be directly related to the motherboard and some repairs could even require a complete change of the equipment.
The most common problems that we find in this regard are these:
- Impossibility to carry out gestures with the trackpad.
- Response time too slow.
- Intermittent issues where the keyboard and/or trackpad is sometimes no longer recognized.
- The pointer does not move.
- One or several keys do not work and the rest do.
- The keyboard does not work and does not allow you to turn it off by button.
- The Touch ID does not work well or directly does not recognize your fingerprint.
In this area we can find failures of the MacBook’s own battery, but although it may seem that it is because of it, there are times when what fails are other elements. The cable and the transformer that is connected to the current can be problematic and play tricks, so it is always advisable to have them as the first cause of the failure and try other accessories.
The most common symptoms that we find of problems, either with the battery or the accessories, are these:
- The system displays an unrealistic or fluctuating battery percentage.
- The computer does not turn on.
- The MacBook shuts down suddenly.
- It doesn’t charge even though it’s plugged in.
- It loads very slowly or even stops charging when it reaches a certain percentage.
- It connects and disconnects from the current only even if it is connected all the time.
In addition to those issues discussed above, MacBooks may also experience the following issues:
- Sound failures, either in the speakers or when capturing it through the microphone.
- Problems with the Bluetooth connection.
- Failures when connecting to the Internet via WiFi or Ethernet cable.
- Problems connecting to external displays via HDMI or Thunderbolt.
- Other problems related to ports and not recognizing the accessories that are connected.
- Slow to move through the system.
- Applications that do not open or take a long time to do so.
- Problems updating the software.
As you may have noticed, there are many faults that are even common to many of the possible causes. It is not always easy to know where exactly a problem comes from, so it is best to go to technical support. They will be able to run an exact diagnosis and tell you what the real origin of the problem is and offer you a solution for it.
Free replacement programs
When several cases of common problems between multiple MacBooks and all related to a manufacturing problem are reported, what Apple does is open a completely free replacement program. Either to change the entire computer or the defective part. The good thing about these is that it will not matter if the device is not already under warranty, as long as it does not have any other failure unrelated to the problem covered by the program.
Currently the company has these programs open:
- 15-inch MacBook Pro Battery Change sold between September 2015 and February 2017.
- Screen change on 13-inch MacBook Pro sold between October 2016 and February 2018.
- Changing the storage drive on the 13-inch MacBook Pro(models without Touch Bar) and that were sold between June 2017 and June 2018.
- 13-inch MacBook Pro Battery Change (model without Touch Bar) sold between October 2016 and October 2017.
- Keyboard change on MacBook, MacBook Air and MacBook Pro that have the well-known “butterfly keyboard”, sold between 2015 and 2019.
Obviously, the MacBook must have demonstrated that problem that the programs describe and be within the period established by Apple in its sale, for which they will ask you for the serial number with which to verify it.
Where to go to repair it
Whether or not you have located the problem, it is clear that if the device gives you errors, you will have to go to technical support. For this you have the following options:
- Manzana: either in a physical store or remotely from home, the brand’s official technical service will be able to inspect the device and offer you a repair estimate without obligation. An appointment can be requested from the company’s own website, by going to the Support section.
- SAT: they are the authorized technical services and that, although they are not Apple, they have their authorization and original parts. In the end, the process is carried out in the same way and you can even request an appointment from the Apple website.
- In other establishments: unauthorized centers often offer cheaper prices for repairs, although they do not always guarantee the use of original parts and will make you lose the guarantee of the MacBook if it still had it.