What is the Spider-Verse?
If you are a regular follower of Marvel films, you must be familiar with the concept of parallel universes that was discussed in Avengers: Endgame. And if not, let us tell you a little more about it.
According to the plot that Marvel marks in the stories of its characters, there is a large number of parallel or alternative universes that, together, make up that Marvel multiverse. As you can imagine, in many of them there are different versions of their characters, including Spider-Man himself.
In many of these universes Spider-Man is not much different from the story told in the movies. We can find a younger version of him, an older one or one in which he is not Peter Parker. A clear example of this is the Spider-Man that exists on Earth-65, where the person bitten by the radioactive spider was Gwen Stacy instead of Peter. In this case the character is known as Spider-gwen.
This concept of the Spider-Verse is inherited, of course, from the Marvel comics where it is something quite ingrained. And, if you think about it, that’s why this character in the cinema had 3 different actors who, even when telling a very similar story, had their little differences.
If even having read these lines it is not too clear to you, we recommend that you watch the trailer for the animated film Spider-Man: A New Universe that we leave you a little higher. Why is it interesting that you understand well what the Spider-Verse is? Well, because, if the rumors come true, in the next movie Spider-Man: No Way Home which will be released in December we will see the three versions of Spider-Man that we have known (in the cinema) so far together. And, speaking of movies …
What are the Spider-Verse movies?
Although we have already told you in a specific article about all the Spider-Man films published to date, now we will do a quick review so that this whole story is clear to you.
As we were saying, until now we have been able to see three different Spider-Man on the big screen:
- Spider-Man played by Tobey Maguire.
- A Spider-Man brought to life by Andrew Garfield.
- And, the last youngest spider-man, carried out by Tom Holland.
Each of them represents a Spider-Man from a different Earth within the Spider-Verse. So, finally, we could say that the films are divided as follows:
- Spider-Man (2002)
- Spider-Man 2 (2004)
- Spider-Man 3 (2007)
- The Amazing Spider-Man (2012)
- The Amazing Spider-Man 2: The Power of Electro (2014)
- Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017)
- Spider-Man: Far From Home (2019)
- Spider-Man: No Way Home (2021)
The true meaning of the Spider-Verse
Everything we have told you so far is very good. It is a way that, at the time, Marvel could have to be able to produce a greater amount of content through its comics. But, really, the idea of the Spider-Verse does not remain in a simple «churrería» of content.
For years Marvel has been dedicated to creating many versions of this character, ranging from the most classic to The Superior Spider-Man, Miles Morales or Spider-Gwen, all of them predestined to meet a common goal. In 2014 Marvel made the ultimate crossover among hundreds of versions of our arachnid friend to face an evil power that, as you can imagine, was too much for one.
It was about the Heirs, vampiric beings that fed on the arachnid power of the different versions of this character throughout the multiverse. Among them was one of the villains who came closest to ending Spider-Man: Morlun. So, to try to protect the multiverse and the stability of history, to fight against them.
The Spider-Verse closed its final chapter, or at least for the moment, when all these versions of the arachnid superhero managed to lock the Heirs in a post-apocalyptic world. Although, yes, this terrible battle ended up significantly reducing the number of versions of Spider-Man that remained alive.
How many types of Spider-Man are there in the Spider-Verse?
Now that you know a little more in depth what this Spider-Man multiverse consists of, you may be wondering, how many versions of this superhero are there? Talking to you in this article about all of them would be an endless process. So to summarize a bit, here are the most important members of the entire Spider-Verse:
- The Superior Spider-Man: it is a hybrid between Doctor Octopus and Peter Parker that the villain himself generated by mistake in a time trip.
- Spider-Man 2099: in this case Spider-Man is called Miguel O’Hara, a version of a future universe in which the Earth needs a new version of this superhero.
- Spider-venom: in the MC2 universe the symbiote that came from space managed to join Peter Parker but, here, it never separated from him.
- Spider-Pig: a slightly strange version of our arachnid friend in which, although it seems crazy to you, he is a pig instead of a human being.
- Spider-punk– This spider-man belongs to Earth-138 and is also known as The Anarchic Spider-Man. This is an African American punk rocker.
- Miles Morales: in an alternate universe Peter Parker is assassinated and, the person in charge of collecting his witness is Miles Morales. A young man that the Spider-Man from another universe will have to teach.
- Spider-Gwen: one of the faces of this superhero in which, as we have already mentioned before, is not Peter Parker, nor is it a boy. In this version of Earth-65, Gwen Stacy is the one who is bitten by the radioactive spider, taking on the role of the spider woman.
- Spider-Girl (Mayday Parker): a curious universe in which Peter Parker is a rather old man. Here he gives the relief of his superhero role to his daughter May Parker, becoming Spider-Girl.